Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Rust and Cwafts


What's this? Two posts in one day? I just wanted to share the beautiful rusted paper (so much prettier in real life!) that I learned to make from Val's blog at http://valsalteredheartjourney.blogspot.com/
It was just on regular copy paper but it almost has a parchment feel once it's rusted. To learn how to rust stuff, you will need go to her blog, scroll all the way down and then go to "older posts" and it's about half way down the page. I doubt if you'll get there very fast because she has the most delicious textured things to look at on the way! The rusted technique is wonderful and she even does fabrics. So here's to Val...the texture queen! Thanks for sharing your technique, Val.

Rusting aside for the moment, I wasn't going to bore you with this but I can't help myself. I watched my barely 3 yr. old granddaughter, Lauren, today and she said "Gammaw, I want make a cwaft (craft for those who don't know 3 yr. old talk), ....we made crafts for 2 hours and when she had made one for everybody in the family, including both grandmas, mom, dad, the daycare lady, and the cat, she said "I'm an ahtist, gamaw. Are you going to be an ahtist, too?" Just too much fun, these 3 year olds! If the truth were known, I would have been very sad if she hadn't wanted to be an "ahtist"!

4 comments :

Val Foster said...

Pat, I love your rusted papers. They came out just great, and I know exactly what you mean when you say they almost feel like parchment paper after they're rusted. And yes, they do look better up close than in pictures. And they look fabulous on art works, don't they? Thanks so much for your kind comments about my blog, and for linking to it.

I'm so glad you tried this technic. I love it when other artists feel inspired to try the technics I post on my blog. And love it even more when they post their results on their blogs, so I can see them. Kudos to you for trying this. And it could be addictive, if you're not careful. Just a warning.

Also, I love the story about your granddaughter. How cute and sweet it is. Sounds like you have a budding artist there, and I'm sure you'll guide her in the "artistic direction".

mary schweitzer said...

Val is the background/texture queen. Sorry I didn't get back to you about the tin/canvas yet. I've been sandbagging. I'll E you later
Mary

Anonymous said...

Pat the paper looks very cool, and I anxiously await seeing the results of using it - I'm sure it will be inspiring and creative!
I jist visited Val's blog, and what fn there is there! Thanks for the link, another source of great inspiration and creativity.
Have a great day ;)
Gaye

Jill said...

Thx for the link to Val's blog. I'm going to definitely pop over there and take a look at what she has posted. Your rusted papers are beautiful...and how lucky for you to get to spend that creative time with your little artist! :)