Thursday, June 19, 2008

Transfers






I have been trying transfers for what seems like forever! Never had much success but I'm pretty excited about what I tried this morning. For what it's worth, here are the pictures of what happened. I belong to the Yahoo inkjet transfer group and have mostly just lurked trying to glean information. I have tried a lot of posted techniques with little or no success. Now I don't know if anyone who is good at transfers would think much of these, but I'm happy enough that I would attempt to put one over something that I previously was afraid I'd ruin. I followed Angela Silva's (Inkjet Transfer group) directions and used Office Depot High Gloss Premium Photo Paper, 9 mil thickness, heavy weight. There are 25 sheets and it was on sale a week or two ago for $9.99. Then I used Golden Soft Gel (Matte) on the substrate with my finger, just making a nice smooth layer. At first I used too much and it was obvious when I removed the photo paper that it was really oozing. When I printed the image onto the photo paper, I used the regular printing option (standard) and glossy photo paper setting. I have a Canon Pixma 6700. Funny thing is that the picture of the little boy actually was a black and white cabinet card. The black ink evidently turns blue when it hits the Soft Gel. Oh, and I tried the back of a spoon, a bone folder, the scissors handle and a brayer. Didn't seem to make much difference what I used. Why does a transfer always leave out someone's beak or nose? Hmmm?
Thanks to Angela for helping me make some fairly decent transfers!

6 comments :

Jill said...

WOW! Congrats, Pat, on your transfers. They look wonderful! I have never been successful at transfers and was even on the mentioned group but way too scientific for me. I hope you continue playing with the technique.

Anonymous said...

Hey Pat these transfers look great! The technique you used has been the most successful for me as well. I haven't tried doing the transfer from a printed acetate, but that is next on my list...where is that list anyway??!
Cheers,
Gaye

rebecca christiansen said...

Wow! I really like the effect you got with these. I might have to try the gloss photo paper. Thanks for sharing. Oh, I just had to spend some time reading your blog & enjoying your awesome art! You are very talented!

You are from Folsom? I'm in the Chico area. Stay cool on this hot day, okay? :)

http://justgiddy.typepad.com

Danielle said...

They look great to me, the bird is my favorite. I'm on that group to I think or was at one time. I remember not having the recommended printer so I never pursued transfers. Good to know there is hope!

Kim said...

Great transfers! They are one of my fav things, and these are terrific!

Nelly said...

I love these! Thanks for the instructions too. I haven't tried any transfers, but I'm very interested in doing so and have also been gleaning info. from lots of artists to learn what I can.
Thanks for visiting my blog earlier.
I love your style and many of your collages are just what I like as well.