Saturday, March 1, 2008

First Collage

Worked on a collage today and really enjoyed it. Composition is the thing and I'm not sure I got it right but for a first attempt, I like it! The color looks very washed out on here and I'm not sure why. The background was a pretty matt that I removed from a photo album. I gessoed it to dull the color. The peachy effect in the lower left is a piece of a chiffon scarf that has pretty soft flowers. It's laid over the background. Fortunately, the oval opening was already cut for me! The pretty robin's egg blue "ribbon" at the top is actually vintage silk bias tape wrapped around a piece of the original card. There is some German scrap, mother of pearl heart shaped buttons, heavy vintage antique lace inside the oval and some birds that I cut out and applied. The size is 7 1/4 by 9.....definitely not ATC size. I'm spreading my wings!
PS: The baby is a copy of a cabinet card. I tinted it a little to pick up the peach tone. As always, you can click on it to enlarge.

9 comments :

Anonymous said...

Hallo! You might find this surprising but I was ~:sleeping:~ quite well until my iMac kicked to life. I had forgotten it was even sleeping itself! *rolls eyes* There it was, this beacon calling to me... as I shrugged off my sleepy eyes, I wandered over in the dark, going "don't tell me the computer knows someone commented on my blog!".... sure enough! Thta is why it woke up! *smirks* I'm soo happy it did too, because I wouldn't have been able to see this beautiful piece of art! =) I seriously wouldn't change a thing and here is why:

I :*love*: the cohesiveness of this piece! I love how it *feels* aged... as if its been around for quite a long while. I like how the upper left looks almost like it wasn't meant to be there...ripped into the foreground. (love that technique!) The colours mesh well together, and add to the ~:vintage style:~ And, the placement of birds give the impression that their watching over the little guy! =) Very seamlessly executed! I truly think you've found your new ~:niche!:~

Hmmm... anxious to see what you tackle next!

Oooh... and, as for me!? I best return to those dreamscapes! Ha! =)

Janny said...

Loveley!

Jill said...

Pat--I think it's just gorgeous!

Danielle said...

It's wonderful, you did a great job - be proud!

mary schweitzer said...

I think it's lovely! I would hang it in my home. Beautiful owrk.
Mary

Anonymous said...

Pat,
This piece is lovely and you should be very proud for taking on a larger and newer project. I continue to enjoy watching you spread your wings.

p.s. umm, love "YOUR" new picture.lol

Dragonlady said...

Pat, I think your collage is beautiful, I like the colors...you did a very good artistic job on that....
Brenda

Val Foster said...

Hello. I take it your name is Pat, from the other comments here. Your collage is beautiful, and the composition looks great to me, but then I don't know much about composition. It's always a concern to me when I do collage,but I try to ignore it, otherwise I get too stressed.

Yes indeed, this is an excellent collage, very pleasing to the eye. You should be proud of yourself.

BTW, thanks so much for looking at my blog and leaving a comment, and adding me to your blogroll. Are you going to try the rust technic on anything?

Val Foster

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful piece and such a cutie. I think you have captured her perfectly.
http//:artticulation.blogspot.com