Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Spooky Halloween and Barley Water


Here's a little ATC I made for Altered StART's mingle. The theme was "spooky Halloween" ....hope this doesn't scare anyone too much! LOL

As promised, here's the easy recipe for barley water. As you probably know, barley is one of the most nutritious foods you can eat. I love barley in soups, salads and even as a cereal for breakfast. Barley water is simply the water in which you cook the barley, but you need to do a couple of things to make it a very refreshing drink. It is really an English idea but seems to be catching on here.


  • Cook 1 cup hulled barley (don't use quick cooking...may have to search for "hulled" a bit in 4 cups of water. After it comes to a boil, simmer for 30 minutes & let stand for 30 minutes. While the barley is cooking, peel 2 lemons (try not to get into the white part) and place the peel and the juice into a 2 quart pitcher. Strain the barley water from the barley with a fine strainer into the pitcher. Most recipes call for honey as a sweetener but since I am diabetic, I use blue agave as a slight sweetener. Actually, I could drink it without any sweetener. It's quite refreshing sort of like lemonade but with a lot of nutrients. Try it!

8 comments :

Anonymous said...

I came back for the recipe and can remember that my FAVOrite soup as a child (when I was sick) was Campbell's Beef and Barley...I may need you to send me some of the real deal...PS...why is my name NOT on your blog roll...? (*skulks away sad and depressed...*) :)

Michele said...

What a cute card! I love the pumpkin faces. :)

I never would have considered drinking barley water, but I admit I love barley, especially in soup, so maybe I'll give it a try. I'm up for a little adventure. :)

Jill said...

Hi Pat!! Your soup recipe sounds delicious! I love your ATC too. Halloween is one of the best themes for altered art. :)

Unknown said...

Pat that sounds like something I'm gonna try..ehehe!! I too love Barley and use it in many of my dishes, soups, etc. Thanks for sharing!!

Christy said...

Your little ATC is not scary, just adorable! I might give your barley water a try as I love lemonade and I drink vitamin water a lot so this sounds like it might be a good thing for me! Thanks for sharing. Oh and I am tagging you.
http://averageamericangirl.com/blog/?p=915

Creatively Lisa said...

Pat...thanks for the comment on my blog. I love your pumpkin card...it's so cute.

Nelly said...

I sure hope you didn't just leave your art journals at the thrifts shop. They are beautiful!!!! Use them as gifts if you don't sell them, but you should most definitely try to sell. I feel discouraged myself about selling my things since I haven't really sold many but I have to try.

Anonymous said...

Weren't we supposed to sell me a journal? And where are you...I love the leaves on the pumpkin card...are they Prima?