Friday, May 9, 2008

Sew What?





Had a lot of vintage sewing ephemera and have been wanting to do an assemblage or shrine type thing with it. Finally got busy and put it all together. I love the colors and all the little doo-dads. The lid is shown on the left. It's in a wooden box about 8 1/2" square painted an oldish blue-green. Pretty much every thing is vintage. Some of the hooks and eyes and button cards say 4 cents or 8 cents! I found that J. C. Penneys was a great source for the home seamstress. The picture on the inside of the lid is a copy of some vintage scrap advertising Clark's ONT thread. If I ever get my Etsy store (scary!), I might sell this baby although I am pretty attached to it already!
I have a 6 drawer antique spool cabinet that is one of my favorite things....teardrop pulls and glass fronts on the drawers that are backed with red. The drawers read Clark's - Spool Cotton - On White Spools - O.N.T. (our new thread) - George A. Clark - Sole Agent.
I'd like to say click on pictures for a larger view but it rarely works for me. Maybe I just don't know how to do it. Good possibility! Sorry.

5 comments :

mary schweitzer said...

I LOVE THIS!!! You could sell this in a minute! You do such great work! WOW!!
Mary

Anonymous said...

Pat this is so unique and pretty! The color is wonderful and the inside of the lid is inviting!
Gaye

Jill said...

Hi Pat! I love this piece. I'll see your work in Somerset soon I suspect!! :)

Val Foster said...

This is delightful. Very artsy, very cool. You must've had a lot fun creating it. Great work!

Christy said...

This is so lovely. I have a soft spot for vintage sewing shrines. Your shrine is so colorful and how fantastic to be in a box. You open it and get such a surprise.